Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Thrift Store Finds for Scrapbooking

I love getting my scrapbook supplies at a discount...and I love using "found" items in my albums...put these two loves together and you get "Thrift Store Shopping"!!!  In the past few weeks I have found some various items at my favorite thrift stores.  The following are among my favorites...



Plastic doilies-  I believe these are vintage, flexible, plastic doilies.  They have about a 6-7 inch diameter.  I found a bag of 7 doilies (2 different designs) this past Monday.  It cost 50 cents for the bag of doilies.  I almost passed them up, then I thought I could use them as a "mask" for Glimmer Mist.  Boy am I glad I decided to purchase them!



I gave one doily of each design to my friend, Shawna, and she IMMEDIATELY decided to test them out with acrylic paint.  She used them like a stencil, with red acrylic paint, and made these beautiful Christmas cards in no time flat...



Woven tape measure- Another vintage find was this tape measure made out of woven fabric.  It has been naturally distressed through years of use.  It was 25 cents and since I rarely (if ever) see fabric tape measures anywhere, I snatched it up!



I used it on this layout of my mom, my kids, and I at 50's diner in Denver...I thought the vintage tape measure fit in with the old fashioned feel of the diner.




Ledger Books-  I found two old ledger paper pads at the thrift store this summer as well.  They were 25 cents each.  Although I haven't used them yet, I love the look of ledger paper on a layout, and I know I will use them soon!  My dream "find" would be a vintage ledger book filled with information in beautiful handwriting!












1995 Disneyland Map-  This was for sale for 50 cents at a thrift store...I can't wait to cut it up and use it to embellish layouts of our future trip to Disneyland.


English/Spanish Flashcards-  Two weeks ago I found 2 complete sets of these flash cards for $3 each.  One side of the cards has the Spanish word/phrase and the other side has the English word and definition.  I believe each set has about 600 cards.  I was so excited to find these.  I bought one set for myself and gave the other set to my friend, Shawna.  What she doesn't want, I 'll share with some of my scrapbooking friends. 


I have already made 2 layouts using these flashcards...one is about how Maddy "takes care of" Hunter and the other is embellishing a page about Hunter at 5 weeks old!  I love these tiny flashcards and I know I will use them on many more layouts to come.  I will definitely get my $3 worth out of them!





Vintage Hymnals and Children's Books-  I went to a yard sale about 6 weeks ago and "hit the jackpot" on vintage books and hymnals.  I picked up about 8 books for 25-50 cents a piece.  The handwritten dates in the inside covers and the copyrights ranged from the 1880's-1940's.  I am sure I got them for SUPER CHEAP compared to what I would have paid at an antique store! 


I tear the pages out of the books to use on my layouts.  I also cut the pictures out to create unique, one of a kind embellishments.  I made this layout about the "Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls, and Toys" using some illustrations of children playing with toys.  I got the illustrations (and the type) from a book of Nursery Rhymes dated Christmas of 1889!!!


Vintage Sewing Patterns-  I also picked up two vintage dress patterns to cut apart and use on my layouts.  I created flowers out of the patterns for the same layout about the Denver Vintage Doll and Toy Museum.  Some layouts really lend themselves to using vintage items as embellishments such as these.


I have found many more precious items at thrift stores and yard sales...these are just a few of my recent, favorite finds.  I always keep my eyes peeled for new treasures...it's so much fun!

25 comments:

  1. Love your Blog and LO's, lots of ideas will check back weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! I found some plastic doilies at an estate sale and picked them up, too. Aren't they the neatest things? I love the paint idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing finds!!! I am a big thrift store lover myself, to be honest I never really though of going there for scrappy goodies. Thanks for the kick in the bottom to head out to my antique stores etc!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw your post on 2peas about the scrapbook embellishments. I , too , would rather use 'found' objects. I LOVE your blog and am gonna be a stalker now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds!!! Love the doilies and also never see "fabric" tape measures anywhere either, lucky find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT finds and beautiful layouts showcasing those finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm amazed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a blog that's equally educative and interesting,
    and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is an issue that too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
    I'm very happy that I came across this during my hunt for something concerning this.

    Also visit my web blog waist hip ratio

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the helpful info you provide on your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check once more right here frequently.
    I'm fairly sure I will learn plenty of new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the following!

    Also visit my web blog: hd Pvr Decoder

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good response in return of this question with solid arguments and describing the whole thing
    on the topic of that.

    my blog post; web site designer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I enjoy reading all of your article post. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.


    My webpage: exclusive holidays South Africa golf holidays

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there everyone, it's my first visit at this web page, and article is genuinely fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these types of posts.

    My web-site :: ppe Johannesburg

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm curious to find out what blog platform you are using? I'm having some minor security
    problems with my latest site and I'd like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any suggestions?

    Review my web blog architectural services Johannesburg architectural services Johannesburg

    ReplyDelete
  14. I almost never drop responses, but i did a few searching and wound up here "Thrift Store Finds for Scrapbooking".
    And I do have a couple of questions for you if you tend not to mind.

    Is it just me or does it look like a few of the responses come across as if they are left by brain dead folks?
    :-P And, if you are writing on other online social sites, I would like to keep up
    with anything fresh you have to post. Could you list of all of your social sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?


    my weblog IT support Johannesburg

    ReplyDelete
  15. My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on
    various websites for about a year and am anxious about switching to another platform.
    I have heard excellent things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

    my blog wedding Photography Cape Town

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog web site?

    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit
    acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea

    Here is my blog post: more info

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's up, always i used to check webpage posts here in the early hours in the break of day, since i enjoy to find out more and more.

    Here is my web page - More information

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are in reality a good webmaster. The website loading speed is incredible.
    It kind of feels that you're doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you've performed a wonderful
    activity on this matter!

    Feel free to visit my web site; Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello there, just became alert to your blog through
    Google, and found that it is really informative. I am
    going to watch out for brussels. I'll be grateful if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

    Also visit my webpage - click the site

    ReplyDelete
  20. Υou have madе some really good points thеre.
    I checkeԁ on the internet to leаrn morе аbоut the isѕue and founԁ
    moѕt inԁivіԁuals ωill
    go along wіth уouг vіews on thiѕ web sitе.


    Loοk intο my web pagе - herbal incense kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  21. You could certainly see your expertise in the work you write.
    The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren't afraid to say how they believe.
    Always follow your heart.

    Look into my web-site :: goji actives

    ReplyDelete
  22. Meats, sea fish, milk and egg whites are good protein sources.
    The best weight loss pills are those that assist your daily workout routine or
    help nourish muscles after weight training.
    If you are taking a diabetic medication (like insulin or glyburide), talk to a doctor before taking this
    to make sure this is right for you, otherwise this supplement may allow your blood sugar
    to fall even lower than normal. Side effects include
    Gastrointestinal issues (diarrhea, oily spotting),
    rare cause of severe liver injury is reported. Lean - Tea also lowers the production of triglycerides and cholesterol by promoting
    synthesis of low density lipoproteins. ' Keep away from tea and
    coffee, instead try freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice in hot water.

    Under normal circumstances, it takes the brain at least 20 minutes to know that you
    are full when eating. It helps you restrict frequent food craving
    and regulates your appetite giving you no chance to pile on surplus of weight.

    This helps you eat less, while keeping you healthy.
    This could very well be that simple, consumer-friendly solution we have
    all been waiting for in a long time now.

    Also visit my weblog; how many milligrams of garcinia cambogia for weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete